“Kids Are First” Grants
From its inception, The Mainstay has felt that children’s programs are an important part of its Mission. Early on, The Mainstay experimented with performance-oriented camps and all day events for children at its building, but found that the facility had drawbacks for such activities. In 2004, the Board of The Mainstay structured a new grant program using the resources and skills of The Mainstay (funds, talent, volunteers) to work in cooperation with other organizations and agencies that serve children. Grants to date have originated and/or supported:
- Attendance by Rock Hall children to Echo Hill Outdoor School.
- Outings for Rock Hall children on the schooner Sultana.
- A Rock Hall Middle School mural project.
- Awards for RHES and RHMS Character Counts programs.
- The Radcliffe Creek School boatbuilding project.
- Two Kent County Babe Rush League girls’ softball teams.
- A town parade celebrating RHES winning National Blue Ribbon School.
- A college scholarship for a Kent county High School Student studying music.
- Cooperation with Washington College to provide internships in arts administration.
- Perfromance opportunities for young artists.